It’s about the Journey, my friends…

ocean viewThink of your life as a journey, as a story with many chapters.  We all have a beginning, a middle and will have an end.  Through our journeys we will have many life experiences, make many decisions, and see our lives through our personal lenses.

We cannot have ‘good’ times without experiencing ‘bad’ times, ‘fun’ times without experiencing ‘boring’ times, or ‘energetic’ times without experiencing ‘stuck’ times.  Everything is relative, and we judge things based on past experiences and how we see life.

So my question to you is this:  How do you want to live your journey of life?

Unfortunately I know so many people who are going against the flow of life, see most things as ‘bad’, and overall just appear to be fighting through life.  They are usually in a state of wanting things to be different, which causes stress and suffering.  They are usually blaming others for the way things are. The journey for these people is probably quite grim and stressful, don’t you think?

When we start to find acceptance in life, and take each moment as it comes, we can experience some personal peace.

We are all human, and are all a work-in-progress. But being awake and aware of how you are thinking and reacting to things is an enlightening experience in life.

Think about your journey by stepping back a little from being inside your head.  How do you want to live your journey of life?  What do you want your journey to be like?  At the end of your journey, what do you want to look back and see in your life?

About Wendy

www.TheCalmMonkey.com. Sharing ways to cultivate joy in a busy lifestyle, I am a cancer survivor who loves to learn and grow every day, and help others along the way. My passion is helping people build their personal resiliency for life's ups and downs, and cultivate more joy in life. I have a corporate management-type job and I find teaching meditation and mindfulness in the workplace one of the most fulfilling things I do in life.
This entry was posted in Inspiration, Mindfulness, Spirituality and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to It’s about the Journey, my friends…

1. CharmedYogi says:

Reblogged this on A Charmed Yogi and commented:
    I speak about embracing the journey of life often. During my classes, I’ll ask my students to set their intention to let go of expectation and enjoy the process of yoga — the poses between poses.

2. Ken M. says:

You mention blaming others for the way things are. This is often a form of ‘fundamental attribution error’, and it can help to become aware of it. Decades of research studies have shown that nearly all people have a major flaw in their thinking that distorts their ability to see things as they are. Generally, when good things happen to you, you are more inclined to take credit for it, to attribute it to something you did, or a positive aspect of your character. When bad things happen to you, you are more inclined to blame it on something external, on others, or on something that was beyond your control. However, when something good happens to someone else, you are more likely to attribute it to something outside that person – “they had a lucky break”, “they had help”, etc., while if something bad happens to someone else, you are more likely to blame it on them – on something they did or some flaw in their character. The fundamental attribution error reminds us that we often hold others to very different standards of evaluation than we hold ourselves. So if you find yourself blaming others for something bad that happened to you, it might be a flaw in your thinking. Maybe you played a role. Maybe you should take responsibility for what happened and learn from it. This may not apply in all situations, but it does apply in many of them.

• Wendy says:

Ken, both your comments are heartfelt. Thank you for sharing these so others can see them. Great perspectives to share. Thanks so much.

~Wendy

3. Ken M. says:

You mention people who are unhappy because they want things to be different, and I wanted to share a story.

Years ago, I spent a summer living in suburban Havana while a friend was working on a documentary for CBC. We lived in a tiny one-bedroom loft with no air conditioning and lots of huge hissing, flying cockroaches. Everywhere we went, we saw poverty. Stores with nothing on their shelves. People begging – not for money – but for things like soap, pencils or aspirin. People repair their 1950’s cars with tin cans and string. People figure out creative ways to survive. I got used to eating only one meal a day and taking unheated ‘showers’ from a hose. When we left, I gave all of my clothes and toiletries away to people I had met who needed them more than me. I remember that after returning to Canada, one of the first things I did was go to the Caper’s grocery store near my apartment to stock up, and upon walking into the grocery, I unexpectedly felt overwhelmed by a wave of emotion at the abundance we take for granted. Shelves stocked with food. Our access to clean water and comfortable shelter. To this day, I am deeply, deeply thankful for the abundance we enjoy in this country and I have a lot more compassion for people in less developed countries who have so many fewer opportunities.

This brings me back to people who are unhappy and waiting for things to change. The truth is that if you live in Canada, we have options. You can change just about anything and you can access just about anything if you work hard enough. Take a step back and realize just how lucky you are to be living in the 21st century in a developed country.

• Deb Laroche says:

Thanks, Ken, for this reminder through your experience. This morning, while enjoying my breakfast, the following words came to me: “This world is for all of us, not just for some of us.” My mantra for many years has been “Take what you need and give all you can.” I see from your story that you too have lived these words. Thank you!

• Wendy says:

Hi Deb, that is a wonderful mantra! “Take what you need and give all you can”. I love it. Thanks for sharing that.
        Wendy

Welcoming your comment . . .

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s